• 1x emergency.lu VSAT was successfully installed on Tanna Island.
• A BT team of 4x specialists successfully installed 1x VSAT on Ambae Island and 1x VSAT on Malekula Island.
• The ETC is now providing shared internet connectivity services at 7x sites across Vanuatu. 2x sites have been decommissioned.
• The ETC continues to support the government with its communications needs to enable it to communicate with people on remote islands.
• Logistics is a major challenge as shipping equipment from Port Vila to the islands is costly and takes up valuable time.
Now in the fourth week of the operation after Tropical Cyclone Pam hit Vanuatu, the Emergency Telecommunications Cluster (ETC) is working closely with the Government of Vanuatu to coordinate ICT efforts to ensure a swift and efficient response, avoid duplication of efforts and ensure resources are channeled where they are most needed.
The National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) has indicated that it expects the national network backbone to be operational within three weeks and further deployment of ETC equipment is no longer necessary. Basic GSM services have been largely restored and local Internet Service Providers are working hard to reestablish the national network backbone. 3G is still a challenge.