USA

USA: Hurricane Katrina Mississippi recovery update - 31 Jul 2007

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
Release Number: 1604-567

BILOXI, Miss. -- The following is a summary of Mississippi recovery efforts as of July 26, 2007:

Individual support continues with more than $1.2 billion to individuals and families:

- 216,528 individuals and families have been approved for Housing Assistance totaling more than $847 million;

- 134,263 Mississippi survivors have been approved for more than $414 million in Other Needs Assistance (ONA). The federal share of funding for the ONA program is 75 percent while the state provides 25 percent of the costs. For this unprecedented disaster, FEMA is paying 100 percent of the cost of this program, delivering additional federal disaster assistance to Mississippi.

- 18,002 temporary housing units (travel trailers and mobile homes) in service. More than 24,000 families have deactivated their units.

In communities across the state, more than $2.2 billion has been obligated in the following Public Assistance (PA) categories:

- More than $731 million obligated for land-based debris removal.

- More than 46 million cubic yards of eligible land-based debris has been removed from public and private property throughout the state. More than 31 million cubic yards of debris have been removed in the lower three counties.

- $359 million for emergency protective measures;

- $516 million to repair or replace public buildings;

- $364 million to repair public utilities;

- $107 million to repair and restore public recreational facilities such as state parks;

- $62 million to repair roads and bridges;

- $2 million to repair water control devices such as reservoirs and irrigation channels.

Under FEMA's PA program, the federal share of eligible projects is set at a minimum 75 percent, with state and local governments providing the remaining 25 percent. Following certain extreme situations, the cost-share has been amended to 90 percent federal funding, with a 10 percent state and local match. For this unprecedented disaster, FEMA is paying 100 percent for all eligible projects under the PA program, providing additional federal disaster assistance to Mississippi.

The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency administers the funds. To date, MEMA has disbursed more than $1.14 billion to PA applicants for debris removal and rebuilding projects including bridges, public buildings and utilities.

An inter-agency campaign, directed by FEMA, has been working to clean up Mississippi's coastal and inland waterways.

- As of July 23, the U.S. Coast Guard has cleared more than 123,841 cubic yards of marine debris from the water since marine cleanup began May 2006 and nine of 15 marine debris removal contracts are complete.

- Nearly $237 million has been obligated for marine debris removal.

Preparing today for tomorrow's disasters...

FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) brings together federal, state, and local governments to prepare communities for future events. Hazard mitigation is any sustained action taken to reduce or eliminate long-term risk to people and property from natural hazards and their effects.

MEMA, as designated by the Governor of Mississippi, administers the HMGP. MEMA provides eligible grant applicants with assistance in mitigation planning, project selection, application development and reimbursement.

- FEMA has allocated more than $35 million for various HMGP projects throughout the state.

- The number of approved Hazard Mitigation plans submitted by local Mississippi jurisdictions has increased from 12 before Hurricane Katrina to 87.

- The amount of funding available for the HMGP following a disaster currently stands at 7.5 percent of the total amount of federal assistance. More than $433 million in HMGP funds are available for Mississippi.

- FEMA has paid more than $2.4 billion through its National Flood Insurance Program to 17,231 policy holders.

Unless otherwise noted, the above figures were compiled as of July 26, 2007.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.