Presbyterian Disaster Assistance and leadership from the Synod of the Sun and its affected presbyteries continue to have bi-weekly conference calls. Some of the updates that were shared during the call on October 14 include the following:
- The presbytery of South Louisiana is working with the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) to coordinate the Ike response in Lake Charles, while in Houma workers are beginning to put up pods to house volunteers.
- Dave Johnson from New Covenant Presbytery reported that sites are being surveyed for Villages in Dickinson, Texas City and Port Neches.
- Synod and presbytery representatives and PDA staff are continuing to meet with FEMA, the United Way and interfaith groups, as well as other relief organizations with a goal of coordinating a central organization for long term recovery.
- Clean-up buckets are being amassed and delivery will begin soon to the Lake Charles area and possibly Galveston.
- PDA National Response Team (NRT) members from the Dallas area are working with New Covenant Presbytery to lead spiritual care events in Houston at the end of the month.
- City Council members in Dickerson, Texas (near the Galveston area) are talking with church representatives to get governmental approval for a potential Village in this area.