OCHA Situation Report No. 3
Ukraine - Floods
20 March 2001
1. Due to heavy rainfalls and the annual melting of snow, severe floods hit the western parts of Ukraine along all major rivers (12 regions of the Zakarpatian Oblast/Transcarpathian Region). Historical heights of water levels have been exceeded. After a short stabilisation phase, additional rains have again increased water levels dramatically (in some locations up to 1.8 m) during the last 24 hours with more rain forecast. Settlements, which have not or marginally been flooded so far, are exposed to the risk of flooding, and protective dams are in danger of collapsing.
2. Latest reports indicate that the number of casualties has now reached 8 persons and that 13'000 people have been evacuated from their homes.
3. The Government of Ukraine has mobilised all available resources to face the situation. At present, 12'158 relief personnel, fully equipped, are engaged in these efforts.
Request for International Assistance
4. In addition to the requirements indicated in OCHA Situation Report No 2 of 12 March 2001, the Government of Ukraine, through the Permanent Mission of Ukraine to the UN in Geneva, requests the following assistance:
- 50 pumps for the evacuation of basements, etc. (20-200l/sec; suction height: 2-8 m; pumping pressure: 5 bar (atm); diesel or electrical (380V, three phase, 50 Hz) engine).
- High capacity pumps (500l/sec; suction height: up to 10 meters).
- 20 pumps for the evacuation of surface waters (suction height: more than 5 meters).
- The Government of Ukraine would also accept temporary provision of the above mentioned equipment.
5. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers (OCHA)
Mr Sergio Piazzi: Tel: +41 - 22 - 9173518
Mr Dusan Zupka: Tel: + 41 - 22 - 9171645
(Disaster Response Branch):
Press contact: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.