OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Ukraine - Floods
9 March 2001
Exceptional rain caused severe floods in the river basin region common to Romania, Ukraine and Hungary. OCHA is monitoring the situation in close cooperation with national authorities and UN field offices.
The UNDP office in Kiev transmitted the following information:
1. As a result of severe flooding caused by heavy rainfalls and melting snow in the western part of Ukraine (Transcarpathia region, at the border with Hungary and Slovakia), reports of the Government indicated the following as of 8 March 2001:
- 300,000 people affected
- 5 casualties
- 19,904 houses partially damaged
- 443 buildings completely destroyed
- 35664 persons evacuated from their homes
- 75 villages cut from telecommunication networks
- 64 villages with no access to electricity
- 20 bridges damaged
- 53 km of roads destroyed
- 9 km of railroads destroyed
- over 20,000 rescuers and emergency workers providing assistance to the affected population
Request for Assistance
3. On 8 March 2001, the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine requested the embassies of Ukraine in selected countries (European countries, US and Canada) and representative missions of Ukraine to the UN, EU and NATO to approach the international community to complement national efforts for emergency cash and in-kind assistance to the affected population.
4. As of today, the Government of Hungary provided 3 helicopters for rescue operations. UNDP Office in Ukraine is exploring the possibility of using UNDP emergency funds for humanitarian assistance to the affected population. OCHA is considering an emergency cash grant to assist the affected population.
5. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers (OCHA Disaster Response Branch): Mr Sergio Piazzi Tel: +41 - 22 - 9173518/Mr Dusan Zupka Tel: + 41 - 22 - 9171645
Press contact: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.