1. The UN Resident Coordinator in Kampala reports that rains continued in most parts of the country over this past weekend, further worsening the situation. It is being reported that up to 150,000 persons may have been displaced.
2. Serious flooding is now reported
also in the western parts of the country. In Bundibugyo District,
an estimated 1,000
people have been displaced and crops and properties worth millions of Ugandan shillings have been lost. According to the district authorities, over the weekend the water level rose well above Mugunu Bridge along the main Bundibugyo-Fort Portal road. In Kabarole District, 100 homes were reportedly destroyed in Fort Portal town, and some sections of the Fort Portal-Mubende main road have been blocked. In Tororo and Mbale Districts in eastern Uganda, some roads have been washed away. The River Nile has reportedly burst its banks on 28 November, displacing several hundred people in Nebbi District in northwestern Uganda.
3. A one-week UN/Government/NGO assessment mission left the capital Kampala on 1 December to Mbale, Tororo, Pallisa, Bugiri and will continue to Fort Portal and Bundibugyo later in the week.
4. WFP dispatched 126 mt of cereals,
pulse, and oil to Mbale, Tororo, and Pallisa over this past weekend. A
carrying emergency supply left Kampala on 1 December to the affected districts (with the assessment team). The authorities in Bundibugyo and Kabarole have been advised to include the flood victims on the IDPs' distribution list for food already being provided to these districts.
5. No official request for international assistance has been received by DHA so far.
6. DHA, in cooperation with the
UN Resident Coordinator, is monitoring the situation, and further updates
will be made
available as soon as received.
7. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform DHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding values by item.
Telephone number: + 41 22 917 1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officer: Ms. Kayo Gotoh, direct tel: +41-22-917-1258
Contact for medias: Ms M. Moulin-Acevedo, direct tel: + 41 22
Telex 41 42 42 dha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
E-mail: info at dha.unicc.org
DPR 310 UGA 97(1)
DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS