Having regard to the Treaty establishing the European Community,
Having regard to the ACP-EC Partnership Agreement signed in Cotonou on 23 June 2000, in particular Articles 72 and 73 thereof,
Having regard to Council Regulation (EC) No 617/2007 of 14 May 2007 on the implementation of the 10th European Development Fund under the ACP-EC Partnership Agreement, in particular Articles 5.4 and 8 thereof
(1) A rapid food assessment has been done by The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) on 12 July 2009 in northern Uganda (Amuria, Katakwi, Amuru, Gulu, Pader and Kitgum Districts) following reports of crop failure. The impact of low harvests on food security is aggravated by the fragile status of the returnees' population.
(2) The population affected by the food insecurity is estimated at 1.4 million over the whole region. The population at major risk is estimated at 600,000 people.
(3) Northern Uganda is experiencing a rainfall deficit that is leading to partial harvest/crop failure and thereby negatively impacting on the food security of fragile populations.
(4) The populations of the Acholi region were already in a precarious situation with regards to food security due to prolonged presence in camps, many just returning to restart agricultural activities in the last year.
(5) The populations of Teso region were just recovering from the damage caused to agriculture by the 2007 flooding and water-logging, and had also previously been displaced due to conflict. These communities are not yet resilient to shocks.
(6) A recent rapid food security assessment in the regions of Acholi and Teso confirms the extent of the damage to agriculture due to the late and sporadic rainfalls.
(7) To reach populations in need, emergency aid should be channelled through Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) or International Organisations including United Nations (UN) agencies. Therefore the European Commission should implement the budget by direct centralized management or by joint management;
(8) Humanitarian aid operations financed by this Decision should be of a maximum duration of 6 months.
(9) In accordance with the objectives set out in Articles 72 and 73 of the ACP-EC Partnership Agreement and Article 5.4 of the Council Regulation No 617/2007 it is estimated than an amount of EUR 5,475,000 from Uganda Allocation for Unforeseen Needs (B-envelope) of the 10th European Development Fund is necessary to provide emergency humanitarian assistance to the most vulnerable populations affected by the rainfall deficiencies in northern Uganda. The activities covered by this Decision may be financed in full in accordance with Article 103.3 of the Financial Regulation applicable to the 10th EDF, together with Article 253 of the Implementing Rules of the Financial Regulation applicable to the general budget of the European Communities.
(10) The use of the 10th European Development Fund is necessary as all the funds for ACP countries in the general budget are entirely allocated.
(11) The Commission will inform the EDF Committee within one month of the adoption of the Decision and this in conformity with Article 8 of the Council Regulation No 617/2007 of 14 May 2007 on the implementation of the 10th European Development Fund under the ACP-EC Partnership Agreement.
HAS DECIDED AS FOLLOWS:
1. In accordance with the objectives and general principles of humanitarian aid, the Commission hereby approves a total amount of EUR 5,475,000 from the 10th European Development Fund for emergency humanitarian aid actions to provide emergency food assistance to fragile populations affected by harvest/crop failure in northern Uganda.
2. In accordance with Articles 72 and 73 of the ACP-EC Partnership Agreement, the main objective of this Decision is to provide emergency humanitarian assistance to the most vulnerable populations affected by the rainfall deficiencies in northern Uganda. The humanitarian aid actions shall be implemented in the pursuance of the following specific objective:
- To provide emergency humanitarian food assistance to the most vulnerable populations affected by the harvest/crop failure in northern Uganda.
The full amount of this Decision is allocated to this specific objective.
1. The period for the implementation of the actions financed under this Decision shall start on 12 July 2009. Expenditure under this Decision shall be eligible from the same date. The duration of individual humanitarian aid actions financed under this Decision shall be limited to a maximum of 6 months.
2. If the implementation of individual actions is suspended owing to force majeure or other exceptional circumstances, the period of suspension shall not be taken into account in the implementing period of the Decision in respect of the Action suspended.
3. In accordance with the contractual provisions ruling the Agreements financed under this Decision, the Commission may consider eligible those costs arising and incurred after the end of the implementing period of the Action which are necessary for its winding-up.
1. In accordance with Article 103.3 of the Financial Regulation applicable to the 10th EDF, together with Article 253 of the Implementing Rules of the Financial Regulation applicable to the general budget of the European Communities, and having regard to the urgency of the Action, the availability of other donors and other relevant operational circumstances, funds under this Decision may finance humanitarian aid actions in full.
2. Actions supported by this Decision will be implemented either by Non-profit-making organisations which fulfil the eligibility and suitability criteria established in Article 7 of Council Regulation (EC) No 1257/96 or by International organisations.
3. The Commission shall implement the budget:
- either by direct centralised management with Non-governmental Organisations;
- or by joint management with international organisations that are signatories to the Framework Partnership Agreements (FPA) or the EC/UN Financial Administrative Framework Agreement (FAFA) and which were subject to the four pillar assessment in line with Article 29 of the Financial Regulation applicable to the 10th EDF
The Decision shall take effect on the date of its adoption.
Done at Brussels
For the Commission
Member of the Commission