• WFP, in partnership with the Turkish Red Crescent (TRC/Kızılay) and the Turkish Government continued to deliver aid through the Emergency Social Safety Net (ESSN), the world’s largest humanitarian multi-purpose cash programme, thanks to the funding from the European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Assistance Operations (ECHO).
• In February, the ESSN assisted 1,545,674 million vulnerable refugees across Turkey, providing each person with TRY 120 (USD 22.6) to help cover their essential needs. The monthly “severe disability top-up” payment of TRY 600 (USD 113 per person) was made to 6,638 of those ESSN beneficiaries. In addition, WFP provided a periodic top-up ranging from 50 to 250 Turkish Liras (USD 8.3 - 41.6) to each ESSN-assisted household. Larger top-ups are allocated to smaller families who do not benefit from economies of scale.
• On 27 February, the Head of the Facility for Refugees in Turkey Coordination Office and his team from the Vice Presidency Office visited the WFP Turkey Office in Ankara to learn about WFP’s global portfolio of operations. The visitors were also hosted at the Joint WFP-TRC Management Cell and observed the successful ESSN partnership.
• In February, WFP launched partnerships with TRC and the World Academy for Local Government and Democracy (WALD) to pilot the Mutfakta Umut Var (MUV) (Turkish:
Kitchen of Hope), an eight-month Cash-For-Training programme funded by the Republic of Korea. The MUV pilot aims at developing skills in the hospitality and food service industry for 120 Syrian beneficiaries and Turkish citizens in Ankara and Istanbul. WFP, TRC and WALD are cooperating with the Ministry of National Education, local authorities, the private sector, and employment service providers to ensure the success of this programme.
• WFP continues to support 90,659 refugees in six camps across the southeast of Turkey with a monthly e-voucher worth TRY 50 (USD 9.4) per person to buy food in participating shops. The Turkish Government provides an additional TRY 50 on a separate card for food and non-food items.