OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Turkey - Earthquake
27 January, 2003
This situation report is based on information provided by the office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator, Ankara as well as media sources.
1. An earthquake of magnitude 6.5 on the Richter scale hit Pulumur in the province of Tunceli in Eastern Turkey at 0645 hrs today. Two aftershocks of 3.2 and 3.5 followed at 0730 and 0745 hrs, respectively. One person lost her life in the incident. The Governor of Tunceli said there were no other casualties.
2. The Minister of Public Works and Settlements visited the earthquake-stricken area and confirmed that there was one fatality and two injuries. He reported some degree of structural damage, but that the infrastructure was in place, with no problems encountered in transport, communications, and power supply. The Minister added that the necessary relief supplies--mainly tents, blankets and stoves for those who did not wish to remain in their homes--had either reached their destination or were on their way by mid-day.
3. The main provider of relief supplies is the Red Crescent. There are no further urgent requirements at this stage and no international assistance has been requested.
4. OCHA is in close contact with the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Turkey and will revert with further information as it becomes available.
5. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Stephen Tull/Ms. Merete Johansson
Direct Tel. +41-22-917-3168/917-1694
(GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) - Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-212-963 87 40
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.