Appeal Target : US$ 1,165,791
Geneva, 12 January 2000
More than four months after the devastating earthquake of 17 August 1999 which rocked the Marmara Region of Turkey, hundreds of thousands of people still lack adequate shelter, food, health, education and social support.
1. ACT Member United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) which has been operational in Turkey since October 1999 proposes the following rehabilitation projects in aid of the earth quake victims. The rehabilitation programme will be completed by 30 September 2000.
- Karamursel School for the Deaf - reconstruction, refurbishing, teacher training, counselling and disasters preparedness.
- Emergency mobile shelter construction and technology.
- Social rehabilitation for children, youth and women - training, counselling, material inputs, extracurricular activities / recreation, disaster preparedness, psycho-social rehabilitation.
- The projects will be implemented by three local Turkish organisations:
- The International Blue Crescent (IBC)
- The Human Settlements Association (HAS)
- The Women's Solidarity Group (WSG)
ACT is a worldwide network of churches and related agencies meeting human need through coordinated emergency response.
The ACT Coordinating Office is based with the World Council of Churches (WCC) and the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) in Switzerland.
Please kindly send your contributions to the ACT bank account and inform this office of all pledges/contributions and transfers, including funds sent direct to the implementers. Please note the Pledge Form is no longer attached with the Appeal.
Account Number - 102539/0.01.61
Banque Edouard Constant
Cours de Rive 11
Case postale 3754
1211 Genève 3
ACT Web Site address: http://www.act-intl.org
Ms. Geneviève Jacques
Rev. Rudolf Hinz<br>
WCC/Cluster on Relations
* Get Adobe Acrobat Viewer (free)