Tunisia + 16 more

Tunisia Survey Snapshot - September 2016

Source
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

Attachments

ABOUT

  • MHub is undertaking field surveys with migrants, refugees and asylum seekers along key migratory routes to build up a body of data over time and to map country and regional level mixed migration trends.

  • This snapshot presents early survey findings of the profiles, intentions and experiences of those moving in mixed migration flows who have recently arrived in Tunisia in the last year.

  • Though these findings cannot be considered statistically representative of the migration population, they do provide key insights into the migration process.

KEY FINDINGS

These findings are based on 116 interviews conducted between 29 March and 28 September in Tunis, Sfax, Zarzis, and Medenine regions of Tunisia. Libyan migrants were the majority of interviews this month.

PROFILE

  • In September interviews, 81% of respondents said they entered Tunisia with a valid passport and/or visa. The remaining 19% said they destroyed their documents since their intention was to use smuggler services and cross borders irregularly on their journey.
    Each of these respondents crossed the Libyan-Tunisia border irregularly in September.

  • 59% of respondents and/or their immediate family own assets in their country of origin, primarily a house and land. All 15 respondents from Libya own a vehicle and house in Libya.

  • 49% of respondents left their country of origin in search of economic opportunities, 29% due to conflict and insecurity, and 3% left to escape persecution.

ABUSES AND RISKS

  • Some Libyan respondents (22%) described how they were detained in Libya before departing and subjected to physical abuse.

ONWARD MOVEMENT

  • 18% of respondents intend to head onward to Europe, mainly France and Italy, certain that reaching Europe would notably improve their lives; 20% would like to return home to their country of origin. This 38% cited a lack of economic opportunities and poor conditions in Tunisia as reasons. Respondents made this decision after less than one year in Tunisia.

  • 59% of respondents intend to stay in Tunisia. 18% of which stated they were unhappy there but were still unsure of a better alternative, while 41% stated they were happy and for the time being they intended to stay. The unhappy respondents cited reasons such as difficult conditions and limited economic opportunities, with racism and discrimination as an additional factor for those from Sub Saharan countries. Respondents that were happy had employment and an establish social network.