US$ 0.39 m Six Months (September 2020 – February 2021) Net Funding Requirement (NFR).
• After almost three months without any active case,
Timor-Leste registered two new cases of COVID-19 on 4 and 20 August 2020. As a result, the Government declared another 60 days of State of Emergency, starting from 6 August.
• WFP is finalizing food safety guidelines for school feeding and developing advocacy materials with the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sports.
• WFP continues to participate in the joint monitoring of the 2020 Food and Nutrition Survey (TLFNS 2020).
Data collection is completed in 10 out of the 13 municipalities. Preliminary findings are expected by end-September.
• Since 14 June 2020, the WFP Global Air Service has managed eight chartered flights connecting Dili to Kuala Lumpur, transporting medical and humanitarian personnel, medical supplies and relief items. A total of 381 passengers have been transported along with 6,027 kg of light cargo. The next flights are scheduled for 15, 16, and 30 September 2020.
• WHO and WFP continue to collaborate on food safety matters and support quality control to ensure the safety of fortified rice to be delivered at schools as part of a home-grown school feeding (HGSF) pilot project.
• WFP organized a media briefing celebrating 20 years of WFP operations in Timor-Leste, targeting a wide range of audiences including decision-makers in the country. On this occasion WFP also presented the Fill the Nutrient Gap Analysis.
• The Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education,
Youth, and Sports endorsed the HGSF pilot project in five schools. As a next step, WFP will hold a one-day workshop with involved ministries and other relevant stakeholders to prepare for the launch.
• On 13 August 2020, WFP supported the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports to distribute take-home rations to 189 students at the EBF 1.2.3 Lelaus school. The rations are to last for 30 days. A second round of take-home ration distributions are being planned for students of the EBC Metinaro school.
• WFP is providing technical assistance to the Government on the Economic Recovery Plan, particularly related to the design of the national food basket/voucher assistance programme.