• The national Rice production for 2020 was estimated at 49,983 tonnes, while Maize production was estimated at 77,606 tonnes.
• Based on the Cereal Balance Sheet in Table 1, the availability of both staple food (rice and maize) shows a surplus during the reporting period. However, there are tendencies of decrease in rice and maize stock after the implementation of Cesta Basica (Government Food Basket) in the country as rice and maize commodities are currently been bought and will be distributed to the population before the end of the year as a part of the Cesta Basica programme.
• Although the prices of food commodities remain stable as per the Market Price Monitoring reports, the Consumer Price Index (CPI) shows that both local and imported rice prices increased by 2.5 indexes on average during this quarter (July to September 2020), The global increased in cereal prices significantly affected rice prices.
• The Government and Private sector rice imports for Timor-Leste from July to September 2020 were 25,010 tonnes compared to 44,846 tonnes during the last quarter (April to June 2020). There was a decrease of 19,836 tonnes in imported rice.
• The National Logistic Center (NLC) and MSSI have a total food stock of 30,000 tonnes of imported rice and 541 tonnes of local rice by the end of September 2020.