Ref: OCHA/GVA - 2003/0100
OCHA Situation Report No. 3
Timor Leste Floods
Occurred on 16 June 2003
This report is based on information received from the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Timor-Leste, UNMISET, and media reports.
SITUATION AND DAMAGE
1. Since 16 June, sudden unseasonal rains in the districts of Cova Lima, Manufahi and Viqueque in the south western part of Timor-Leste have caused severe flooding. There has been substantial damage to infrastructure including the destruction of key roads, bridges, stores and housing with livestock, resulting in the displacement of about 450 to 600 villagers. Communications with Same and Manufahi have been cut off. An estimated 1,000 hectares of crops belonging to 1,500 owners have been severely damaged. About 125 houses have been destroyed as a result of the floods.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL RESPONSE
2. The Government has requested international assistance in an appeal issued on 26 June 2003. The main items needed are: Potable water, medical and food supplies, tarpaulins to put up marquees, kitchen utensils, and mosquito nets.
3. OCHA is providing an emergency grant of USD50,000 for emergency relief items.
4. OCHA is in close contact with the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Timor Leste and will revert with further information as it becomes available.
5. This situation report, together with further information on this disaster and other ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Ms. Marie Spaak/Ms. Susan deSouza
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 17 28/16 36
(GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-212-963 87 40
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.