This DREF Bulletin is being issued based on the situation described below. CHF 145,211 (USD 118,000 or EUR 86,000) has been allocated from the Federation's Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) to respond to the needs of people affected by flooding and landslides in Timor- Leste.
This operation is expected to be implemented over five months. A Final Report will be made available three months after the end of the operation. Unearmarked funds to repay DREF are encouraged.
This operation is aligned with the International Federation's Global Agenda Goal 1: Reduced deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
Background and current situation
Timor-Leste, a relatively new nation established since 2000, has faced an uphill struggle on many accounts in its young life. The government and humanitarian organizations including the Red Cross have been faced with the daunting task of managing about 100,000 internally displaced persons (IDP) in camps since the civil unrest in early 2006. The country has also faced drought in February-March this year and food scarcity throughout the country. Despite these difficulties, Timor-Leste successfully completed its presidential election and parliamentary election in June and July respectively. The process of instituting a new government is underway.
Timor-Leste experiences its heaviest rains during June and July each year. However, this year, the downpours have been more severe than usual, leading to flooding and land slides. This has led to at least one death, destroyed infrastructure, damaged livelihoods and made many people homeless. Overall, 243 families in six districts have been badly affeted.
Map: East Timor: Floods
How we work
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO's) in Disaster Relief and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response (Sphere) in delivering assistance to the most vulnerable.
The Federation's Global Agenda
The International Federation's activities are aligned with under a Global Agenda, which sets out four broad goals to meet the Federation's mission to "improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity".
Global Agenda Goals:
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies.
- Increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the most urgent situations of vulnerability.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion and promote respect for diversity and human dignity.
For further information:
- In East Timor: Isabel Guterres, Sec Gen, Timor-Leste Red Cross, email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone 670 723 5750.
- In Federation Country Delegation: Mr. Warwick Inder, email:email@example.com. phone 670 723 1434, fax 067 33 22 010
- Mr Bekele Geleta, Federation Head of Regional Delegation, Bangkok, Phone: +66 2661 8201 ext 100, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Geneva: Sabine Feuglet, Asia Pacific Department, Geneva, Email: email@example.com; phone +41 22 730 4258; fax 41 22 733 0395