BANGKOK, 28 January 2012 (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is planning to ask for more money from the government to pay to capital residents who have been affected by last year's severe flooding.
Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) spokesman Wasant Meewong said on Friday that, by the Cabinet's November 15th, 2011 resolve to pay each Bangkok family, affected by the worst flood crisis in decades THB5,000 in compensation, more than 538,000 out of some 621,000 eligible families have registered themselves to claim the cash.
Mr. Wasant said that latest information from the Government Savings Bank, dated January 23rd, 2012, showed that nearly 243,000 families have received the compensation.
In addition to the first batch of eligible flood victims, the BMA is planning to ask the government to add more that have been found affected by the flooding.
Accordingly, there are now more than 1 million families in Bangkok's 42 districts the City Hall officially considered the flood crisis victims.
The BMA Spokesperson said that the additional list of flood victims is being reviewed by the state-appointed Flood Recovery and Restoration Committee. He is urging the committee to quickly complete the review and submit it for the Cabinet consideration on Tuesday, January 31st.
Mr. Wasant added that Bangkok Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra has instructed all related BMA offices to do all they can to make the compensation reach the hands of all victims as soon as possible.
News ID: 255501270022
Reporter : Nopparat Chaichalearmmongkol