I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
- The Norwegian Government, through OCHA, has made the outstanding 100 tents available, as well as heaters and blankets;
- With this, most of the urgent outstanding humanitarian needs have been met;
- The Government of Tajikistan is appealing for support for the construction of seismically resistant houses for the affected population - placing emphasis on the need to reduce risk;
II. Situation Overview
An earthquake measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale struck Vanj district (38.247°N, 71.495°E) on January 2, 2010 at around 7:15 am. Some 20 villages in two Jamoats have been affected. The epicenter was close to Vanj, the district centre. The region continues to experience small tremours and aftershocks.
Needs assessments have been completed and confirmed that 6,706 people were left in need of humanitarian assistance.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.