In a world of global challenges, continued poverty, inequity, and increasing vulnerability to disasters and disease, the International Federation with its global network, works to accomplish its Global Agenda, partnering with local community and civil society to prevent and alleviate human suffering from disasters, diseases and public health emergencies.
In 2006, the Federation Country Delegation in Tajikistan continued to support the Red Crescent Society of Tajikistan by providing membership services in the four core areas related to the Federation's Global Agenda Goals. A new common approach to programs was mutually agreed, more focus is on community based programming and integration of programs seeking better sustainability and higher impact at the local level.
Goal: The Country Delegation works with the Red Crescent Society of Tajikistan to:
- Strengthen their role in health and care programmes to reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health in emergencies, as viable partners of their governments through its Health and Care (HC) programme.
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of National Society staff to respond to natural and manmade disasters through its Disaster Management (DM) programme.
- Achieve a stronger and more responsive organization that can better respond to the needs of vulnerable communities and groups through its Organizational Development (OD) programme.
- Empower local vulnerable communities by means of participatory community action through its Participatory Community Development (PCD) programme.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion, and promote respect for diversity and human dignity of vulnerable communities and individuals.
Needs: Total 2006-2007 budget is CHF 3,762,090 (USD 3,110,830 or EUR 2,292,440), (out of which 53% covered).
No. of people we help: In 2006, 251,272 people in Tajikistan benefited directly from Federation programme interventions.
The President of Tajikistan was re-elected for a new mandate of seven years in elections held in 2006. The country is still facing major socio-economic challenges with the inflation rate reaching 12.5%. The level of services such as water, electricity and gas supply continues to regress and the spread of infectious diseases is an additional major serious concern. Several small scale disasters, mainly land slides and earthquakes, have hit different regions of the country.
The Federation country delegation has provided support to the Red Crescent Society of Tajikistan (RCS of Tajikistan) in responding to these disasters. It has assisted the National Society take significant steps in disaster response by developing a contingency plan - the first in Tajikistan and in Central Asia.
The Federation has provided intensive support to the organizational development of the RCS of Tajikistan. The new National Society Statute has been finalized and adopted and the election process for a new governing board and President has started.
For further information please contact:
Elias Ghanem, Head of Delegation in Tajikistan; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Telephone: + 992372 244296 or 245981; Fax:+992372 248520
Sylvie Chevalley, Regional Officer, Europe Department, Federation Secretariat; email: email@example.com; Telephone: +41 22 730 42 76; Fax +41 22 733 03 95
To support or find out more about the Federation's programmes or operations, click on www.ifrc.org