11.1 million people in need of humanitarian assistance
6.1 million people internally displaced
7.9 million people food insecure
1.9 million people at risk of food insecurity
• In March, WFP dispatched assistance sufficient for an estimated 4.7 million people across its activities in Syria.
• The first COVID-19 case in Syria was confirmed on 22 March. WFP has put in place several contingency measures to avoid the spread of the disease amongst its beneficiaries and staff.
• WFP’s School Feeding-programme was suspended in March due to the COVID-19-related closure of all schools countrywide.
• Food prices soared in March, reaching the highest recorded levels since the start of the crisis.
• A ceasefire in the north-west was announced on 06 March, leading to a significant drop in population displacement. WFP reached 1.8 million people with general food assistance in the north-west; a new monthly record.