Syria cVDPV2 Outbreak Situation Report #4 - 12 July 2017
New cVDPV cases this week: 0
Total number of cVDPV cases: 23*
Outbreak grade: 3
Onset of paralysis: 3 March 2017
Location: Mayadeen district, Deir Ez-Zor
Age: 22 months
Vaccination status: 2 OPV doses
22 nt divergence from Sabin
Most recent case
Mayadeen district, Deir Ez-Zor
Onset of paralysis: 28 May 2017, age: 15 months, vaccination status: 1 OPV/zero IPV 26 nt divergence from Sabin
Extent of outbreak
Mayadeen and Tell Abyad districts
First round expected to commence 22 July
Characteristics of the cVDPV2 cases
Median age: 14 months
Gender ratio male-female: 0.44
Vaccination status of the cases:
· IPV: 3 cases (13%) received IPV
· OPV: 39% zero dose, 43% have received 1-2 doses
- Twenty-three (23)* cases of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type-2 (cVDPV2) have been confirmed in Syria —22 cases are from Mayadeen (Al Mayadin) district, Deir Ez-Zor (Dayr Az Zawr) governorate, and 1 case from Tell Abyad district, Raqqa (Ar Raqqah) governorate. The most recent case had onset of paralysis on 28 May.
*Situation report #3, dated 4 July 2017, indicated a total of 24 cVDPV2 cases as part of this outbreak. Specimens collected from a Raqqa district AFP case have been retested as per standard practice and secondary testing showed negative results for poliovirus isolation. The case was thus discarded, bringing the total number of confirmed cases down to 23.
- The total number of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) cases detected in Deir Ez-Zor governorate since the beginning of 2017 is 81 (63 from Mayadeen, 10 from Deir Ez-Zor, and 8 from Boukamal districts). Raqqa governorate has reported 12 AFP cases (5 from Raqqa, 6 from Tell Abyad, and 1 from Thawra districts) since the beginning of the year.
- Monovalent type-2 oral polio vaccine (mOPV2) was shipped to Deir Ez-Zor governorate on 11 July. The first immunization campaign round in Deir Ez-Zor is expected to commence 22 July.
An mOPV2 campaign in affected areas of Raqqa governorate is now planned.
MoH has dispatched 350 vaccine carriers to Deir Ez-Zor. UNICEF is providing two solar fridges to support vaccine cold chain during campaign implementation.
A two-day training workshop for field staff from Raqqa will be conducted this week in Damascus, during which micro-plans and accessibility maps will be updated.
Training for community mobilizers in Deir Ez-Zor is planned for 12-15 July.