Syria

Monitoring Violence against Health Care (MVH) - Mid Year Report 2017 July 2017

Attachments

SUMMARY

Attacks on health care is one of the major reason affecting health service delivery in Syria. Under the leadership of WHO, Health Cluster is tracking the impact of attacks on the health care providers and service delivery infrastructures.

Generally, the first half of this year witnessed an increase of 25% on the attack rates toward healthcare as compared to the last year. A total of 62 verified incidents on 43 health facilities, resulted in the killing of at least 46 people including 18 health workers and 11 patients, and wounding at least 89 people including 33 health workers and 56 others.

The analysis showed that at least 13% of the impacted people during these attacks on health care are under 5 years old and 9% less than 18 years old. 13% of the deaths is among females and the rest of 87% are males.

Hospitals were the most affected in both time periods with 31 incidents in 2017 and 21 in 2016, followed by primary health care centers and Ambulatory systems.

Idelb governorate had the highest number of reported incidents with 22 incidents, followed by 14 incidents in Dar’a, 12 in Hama and six in Rural Damascus, three in Damascus neighhoods, two in Hom, two in Ar-raqqa and one incident in Aleppo governorate. As compared to the first six months of 2016, when Aleppo had the highest number of reported incidents with 28 incidents,
Idleb came second with 11 incidents, three in Hama and one incident in each of Lattakia, Dar’a, Rural Damascus and Homs governorate.

During the last six months, Health Cluster Turkey Hub has received 161 reports on violence against health care, from various internal Health Cluster partners and external verifiers including international humanitarian agencies.