1. The present report is submitted pursuant to Human Rights Council resolution 31/25, in which the Council called upon Israel, the occupying Power, to comply with the relevant resolutions of the General Assembly, the Security Council and the Human Rights Council. The Council recalled in particular Security Council resolution 497 (1981), in which it decided, inter alia, that the decision of Israel to impose its laws, jurisdiction and administration on the occupied Syrian Golan was null and void and without international legal effect, and demanded that Israel rescind forthwith its decision.
2. In resolution 31/25, the Human Rights Council also requested the Secretary-General to bring the resolution to the attention of all Governments, the competent United Nations organs, specialized agencies, international and regional intergovernmental organizations and international humanitarian organizations, to disseminate it as widely as possible and to report thereon to the Council at its thirty-fourth session. In addition, the Council decided to continue the consideration of the human rights violations in the occupied Syrian Golan at its thirty-fourth session.
II. Implementation of Human Rights Council resolution 31/25
3. On 26 October 2016, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), on behalf of the Secretary-General, addressed a note verbale to the Government of Israel referring to Human Rights Council resolution 31/25 and requesting information on any steps taken or envisaged concerning the implementation of the said resolution. OHCHR did not receive any reply to the note verbale.
4. On the same day, OHCHR, on behalf of the Secretary-General, also addressed a note verbale to all permanent missions in Geneva to draw their attention to Human Rights Council resolution 31/25 and to request the Governments of Member States to provide information on any steps taken, or envisaged, concerning the implementation of the relevant provisions of the resolution. The Permanent Missions of Cuba, the Russian Federation and the Syrian Arab Republic responded to that request in notes verbales.
5. In addition, on behalf of the Secretary-General, OHCHR, pursuant to the request of the Human Rights Council, brought resolution 31/25 to the attention of the competent United Nations organs, specialized agencies, international and regional intergovernmental organizations and international humanitarian organizations. OHCHR did not receive any reply thereon.