UN Security Council Resolutions 2165/2191/2258/2332
Through the unanimous adoption of resolutions 2165 (2014), 2191 (2014), 2258 (2015) and 2332 (2016) until 10 January 2018, the UN Security Council has authorized UN agencies and their partners to use routes across conflict lines and the border crossings at Bab al-Salam, Bab al-Hawa (Turkey - Syria), Al Yarubiyah (Iraq - Syria) and Al-Ramtha (Jordan - Syria) to deliver humanitarian assistance, including medical and surgical supplies, to people in need in Syria. The government of Syria is notified in advance of each shipment and a UN monitoring mechanism has been established to oversee loading in neighboring countries and confirm the humanitarian nature of consignments.
- Food: food baskets
- Shelter/NFI: dignity kits, blankets, jerry cans, kitchen sets, sleeping mats, mattresses, winterization kits, tarpaulins, tents
- WASH: basic water kits for families, water purification tablets, hygiene kits for families and babies, sanitary napkins, diapers
- Health: emergency health kits, surgical kits, reproductive health kits, midwifery kits, medical consumables
- Education: learning materials
- Nutrition: supplementary spreads
During September, the level of violence between the government and opposition forces dropped significantly following the de facto establishment of the South Western De-Escalation Area (DEA) and has stayed low during the second month of the ceasefire. Ongoing discussions between the Jordanians, a delegation from the Syrian government and FSA leaders on the re-opening of the Jaber-Nasib border crossing, which some sources suggest could be open by the end of the year. The opening will have considerable impact on the flow of goods into Syria from Jordan.
During the month, the UN and their humanitarian partners have continued cross border operation to meet humanitarian needs in the south. Shelter assistances continue to be the top priority in the south, and, with the winter season approaching, winterization items are critically needed.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.