Sudan Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Sector Fact Sheet [EN/AR]
Only 27% of people in Sudan use an improved sanitation facility, while 40% of people in Sudan have no access to an improved water source.
Source: 2010 Sudan Household Health Survey
• 1.4 million IDPs living in Darfur camps are dependent on life-saving water, sanitation and hygiene services. The need for these services may increase because of new IDPs, due to conflicts in Darfur.
• Need for new or improved water, sanitation and hygiene services for 200,000 returnees (IDPs and refugees) in their areas of origin in Darfur.
• Even though conflict affected areas of South Kordofan, Blue Nile and Abyei remain largely un-assessed, there are an estimated 1.29 million people in urgent need of water, sanitation and hygiene related assistance in these areas.
• Urgent water, sanitation and hygiene needs for people of South Sudanese origin residing in open departure points in Khartoum.
• In this context, the water, sanitation and hygiene sector aims to support 2.2 million people out of the 5.7 million Sudanese in need.