- The overall security situation in Darfur, Eastern region and Blue Nile States remained relatively calm, though unpredictable. No any major security incident was reported.
- WHO supported Merlin with essential drugs and supplies to cover the gap in Kalma Camp
- WHO conducted monitoring mission to Umlabasa and Gredha. Surveillance tools were provided to Umlabassa staff. Gredha Rural Hospital started offering X-ray services. There is a gap in drugs and reagents. WHO will be addressing it accordingly
- Two trainings were conducted in Nyala and Umlabassa by SMOH together with WHO. The trainings were on prevention and treatment of H1N1 and notifiable diseases, case definitions and its surveillance
- WHO, SMOH, Merlin and SP started first round of 10 days vector control campaign in Hujair village of Nyala locality targeting adult Leishmaniasis vector, i. e. sand fly. Pamphlets raising awareness and improving environment sanitation were distributed.
- WHO WD was part of the UN Joint mission to Armanqul which was curried out on 18th of November 2009 successfully by OCHA, WFP, UNHCR, CRS, UNAMID, WHO. The objective of the mission was to asses the health situation of IDPs after the arrival of 150 HHs. After assessment it was agreed that HAC WD would coordinate with government including SMOH to strengthen the support for IDPs for security, food and health services.
- Health, Nutrition and WASH sectors held a meeting on 17 November and discussed the possibility of AWD disease outbreak in Algeref village);this was followed by a joint mission to the same area
- During week45, no any alert related to Influenza A (H1N1) had been reported.
- WHO East Sudan conducted 2 days training for 12 teams on rapid response in Gedarif and 12 teams in Red Sea States. In the area of outbreak investigation , response
Area of concern:
- ICRC decided temporally to suspend the activities in some areas of WD and evacuate or relocate some of their staff, due to 2nd abduction this month in East Chad bordering Sudan. This will have implication on the quality of services delivery in several areas including Jabel Marra. In West Darfur, movement of international staff for programmatic purpose is still restricted to some areas due to kidnapping treats which took place last month.
- Weekly health coordination meetings were held in the 3 states of Darfur. In greater Darfur; WHO shared the Weekly Morbidity and Mortality Bulletin for the week 45. The health situation remained stable with morbidities within normal range and mortalities below the emergency threshold.
- WHO/SMOH Kassala conducted health and nutrition meeting attended by UNICEF, UNHCR, SRCS, NLRC, Samaritan's purse, HAI, and SMoH departments. The EPI acceleration campaign starting 20th November was discussed in the meeting
- Health coordination meeting was conducted in Kadugli. The action point was to find effective ways of extending support to SMOH for EPI and other activities by the partners