ADDENDUM TO THE MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING ON CESSATION OF HOSTILITIES BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF SUDAN(GOS) AND THE SUDAN PEOPLE'S LIBERATION MOVEMENT/ARMY(SPLM/A)
In furtherance of Article 4 of the Memorandum of Understanding(MOU)between the Government of Sudan(GOS)and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army(SPLM/A) (hereinafter referred to as the Parties)on Resumption of Negotiations on Peace in Sudan, signed on 15th October 20022, and extended by a further MOU on 18th November 2002, and in order to avoid hurter violations of the MOU,the Parties hereby agree to the following additional mechanisms to strengthen the implementation of the MOU
1. To notify to the MOU channel of Communications Committee(the MOU Committee)in advance of all troop movements, including rotations, and supply and re supply of non combat items
2. To provide to the MOU Committee the identity and location of their own. forces and all allied forces and affiliated militia.
3. To allow a Verification and Monitoring Team(VMT)which may include,in addition to the two parties,personnel and aircraft from an expanded Civilian Protection Monitoring Team(CPMT),IGAD,AU,Observer,Nations,i.e,Italy,Norway,UK and the US,and any other nation that may, be agreed to by the Parties.Members of both Parties shall have the right to participate in Verification Monitoring missions.
4. To permit free access to such VMT to travel in and around areas where acomplaint had been filed by any of the parties.The team shall notify the MOU Committee of the results of all such missions.All reports of the Verification and Monitoring Team shall be made public by the MOU Committee without delay or alteration
5. To take immediate steps to ensure that any location/s taken over by any party in violation to the MOU since the MOU came into effect on 17th October 2002 are immediately restored to the party that had control over such location/s prior to the violation.
6. To suspend work on the Bentiu-Adok Road until the final, comprehensive Peace Agreement is signed.
7. To take further measures to ensure compliance with the requirement to freeze media wars and propaganda against one another in accordance with article 3 of the M0U.
These additional mechanisms shall enter into force immediately.
Hon Idris Mohammed Abdel Gadir
For: The Government of the Sudan
Lt.Gen Lazaro K.Sumbeiywo
IGAD Sudan Peace Process and On behalf of IGAD Envoys
Cdr. Nhial Deng, Nhial
For: The Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army (SPLM/A)
Embassy of the Republic of the Sudan
3 Cleveland Row, St. James's
London, SW1A 1DD
Telephone 020 7839 8080
Fax 020 7839 7560