South Sudan

Thousands displaced by latest fighting in Raja

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

More than 3,000 – three thousand people have been displaced in Raja county, following the latest clashes between the army and an armed group.

The clashes broke out on Friday last week, forcing many people out of their homes. Majority of the displaced persons have sought shelter in the catholic church compound in Raja.

Fr. Richard Riomo, the priest, in charge of the Catholic Church in Raja, has sounded an urgent appeal for humanitarian assistance to support the IDPs.

“We were surprised with big number coming to us; we decided to open the gates of the schools. We registered more than three thousand seven hundred and more are still coming,” he said.

The priest said the displaced persons started arriving on last Friday. He said most of the people were visibly afraid.

“People were afraid, may be there will be repercussion from the soldiers and also there is looting of people’s properties and other bad things happening in the residential area,”

Meanwhile, an official in Wau has said that more than 30 thousand IDPs who fled fighting have returned home.

Hundreds of people fled the fighting between security forces and sought shelter at Wau Catholic Church and a camp located adjacent to the UNMISS base in Wau.

The Director of Relief and Rehabilitation Commission in Wau, Pons Filberto, confirmed that people are slowly settling back in their homes.