Yida refugee settlement and Ajuong Thok refugee camp are located in Pariang County of Unity State in South Sudan. The refugees are from South Kordofan State of the neighbouring Sudan where there is ongoing fighting between the rebel group Sudan People’s Liberation Army – North (SPLA-N) and the Sudan government’s Sudan Armed Forces (SAF). At the time of the survey, the refugee population at Yida refugee settlement was 69,920 while Ajuong Thok had a population of 31,265. According to the UNHCR ProGres database, 21.8% of the Yida population is children under 5 years while the same age group accounts for 17.9% of the Ajuong Thok population.
The nutrition survey was conducted in October 2015, with the survey report finalised in November 2015. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) coordinated the survey in collaboration with Samaritan’s Purse (SP) and Africa Humanitarian Action (AHA). The International Rescue Committee (IRC) and Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere (CARE) provided logistical support in the form of survey materials.
The survey objectives are as outlined below:
- To measure the prevalence of acute malnutrition in children aged 6-59 months
- To measure the prevalence of stunting in children aged 6-59 months
- To determine the coverage of measles vaccination among children aged 9-59 months
- To determine the coverage of vitamin A supplementation in the last 6 months among children aged 6-59 months
- To assess the two-week period prevalence of diarrhoea among children aged 6- 59 months
- To measure the prevalence of anaemia in children aged 6-59 months and in women of reproductive age between 15-49 years (non-pregnant)
- To investigate IYCF practices among children aged 0-23 months
- To assess household dietary diversity
- To determine the population’s access to, and use of, improved water, sanitation and hygiene facilities
- To determine the ownership of mosquito nets (all types and LLINs) in households
- To determine the utilisation of mosquito nets (all types and LLINs) by the total population, children 0-59 months and pregnant women
- To establish the crude and under 5 mortality rates
- To establish recommendations on actions to be taken to address the nutrition situation in Ajuong Thok and Yida refugee locations