Major Epidemiological Developments W03 2019
• The completeness for IDSR reporting at the county level was 74% in week 3 of 2019 . The completeness for EWARS reporting from IDPs was 76%.
• A Measles outbreak has been confirmed in Juba after five samples from suspected measles cases from Kator PHCC tested positive for Measles IgM antibodies. A total of 21 cases including two (2) deaths have been reported. The cases are from two payams of Kator and Amarat.
• A reactive vaccination campaign was conducted in Rumammer, Alal, Mijak and Abyei between 23rd January 2019 and 28th January, 2019 where 11132 (73%) children were vaccinated out of the 15205 children that were targeted in the four counties. The campaign was extended beyond the four days that was planned for in Rumammer, Mijak and Abyei to attempt to reach as many children as possible following logistical challenges and insecurity which hampered the teams movement during the campaign.
• A reactive vaccination campaign has been conducted between 16th -21st January, 2019 in eight (8) payams in Rumbek East, three (3) payams in Yirol West, and one (1) payam Wulu. Out of 51, 653 children targeted for vaccination, a total of 50, 433 (98%) children were vaccinated.
• There was no new suspected Rift Valley Fever (RVF) cases reported from Yirol East in week 03. 2019. A total of 58 suspected human cases including 6 confirmed; 3 probable; 48 non-cases; and 01 pending classifications (with no definitive lab. test results) have been reported. Nine confirmed animal cases (cattle).
• Three new HEV cases reported from Bentiu PoC in week 03-04, 2019. A total of 169 HEV cases (18 confirmed by PCR) have been reported in Bentiu PoC in 2018. The new cases tested positive on RDT testing. Current response entails surveillance, case follow up in the communities and access to WASH services
• In light of the confirmed EVD outbreak in North Kivu, the South Sudan EVD contingency plan has been updated and implemented to mitigate the risk of EVD importation and enhance readiness capacities.