South Sudan + 5 more

South Sudan Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 19 | 6 December 2016

Format
Situation Report
Source
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

Attachments

Highlights

  • Juba’s food insecure population has more than doubled since July 2015.
  • Conflict and displacement in parts of South Sudan are adversely affecting HIV treatment and response.
  • Thousands of people have been forced to flee their homes in Unity.
  • Since the beginning of the crisis in December 2013, gender-based violence has been a major protection concern in South Sudan.
  • Bureaucratic impediments and access constraints negatively impact humanitarian organizations’ ability to assist people in need.

Figures

  • No. of Internally Displaced Persons: 1.87 million
  • No. of refugees in neighboring countries (post 15 Dec 2013): 1.15 million
  • No. of people assisted in 2016: 4.1 million

Half of Juba’s households face food insecurity

Juba’s food insecure population has more than doubled since July 2015, with hikes in the cost of food and fuel rendering 51 per cent of households food insecure, according to a new survey by food security and nutrition partners.

An estimated 260,280 people in the country’s capital city are now estimated to be food insecure. Given the stress households are facing, more than 80 per cent have resorted to crisis or emergency coping strategies. Over 90 per cent of households have reduced the number of meals they eat per day and 53 per cent have spent entire days without eating.

Limiting the size of meals was reported by 98 per cent of the households, and in 88 per cent of households, adults had reduced their own food consumption in order for small children to eat. Borrowing of food, eating unusual wild foods and skipping days without eating more than tripled compared to 2015.

The deteriorating food security situation in Juba is mainly attributed to the unprecedented rates of inflation, deteriorating South Sudanese pound, loss of employment opportunities, asset stripping and eroded purchasing power. In October 2016, South Sudan’s inflation rate was 836 per cent; the highest in the world. The situation has been exacerbated by poor access to basic services, the crowded living environment, the July 2016 conflict and insecurity around Juba impeding trade.

The price of food has sky-rocketed due to hyperinflation, with the cost of a typical urban expenditure basket quadrupling between August 2015 and September 2016.

Households now spend some 67 per cent of their overall expenditure on food, up from 31 per cent a year ago. Around 98 per cent of households in Juba depend on the market for food, and poor households – particularly those who host an orphan or have a disabled or chronically ill member - are finding it extremely difficult to afford food.

Rising food insecurity in Juba is indicative of the unprecedented food insecurity now faced across large swathes of the country. Some 3.7 million people in South Sudan are estimated to be severely food insecure from October to December 2016, the highest levels experienced at harvest time and an increase of 1 million people compared to the same period last year. Food insecurity is likely to worsen from January to April 2017 and is expected to peak during the lean season from May to July 2017 to the highest levels ever seen in the lean period.

UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.