Situation Overview: Western Bahr el Ghazal, South Sudan (November 2017)

Report
from REACH Initiative
Published on 30 Nov 2017 View Original

Introduction

As of November 2017, many people in Western Bahr el Ghazal (WBeG) who were displaced in successive rounds of violence between June 2016 and April 2017 had not yet returned to their previous locations. In fact, roughly 100,000 people remain displaced inside WBeG, with many more having fled to Sudan and Northern Bahr el Ghazal following the outbreaks of conflict.1 While no new incidents of widespread displacement have been reported since April 2017, insecurity and occasional episodes of violence have persisted in November, limiting access for humanitarian organisations and putting the livelihoods of local communities at risk.
To inform humanitarian actors on the humanitarian conditions faced by populations living outside of formal displacement sites, REACH has been assessing hard-to-reach areas in WBeG since April 2017. Settlement- level data is collected across Raga, Wau and Jur River counties in WBeG on a monthly basis. From 2-24 November 2017, REACH interviewed 387 Key Informants (KIs) with knowledge of humanitarian needs in 154 settlements in the three counties of WBeG.
The vast majority (95%) of KIs had reportedly been living in the assessed settlement or had regular contact with someone from the settlement within the last month; the remainder of the KIs (5%) were new arrivals.
Furthermore, four food security and livelihoods (FSL) focus group discussions (FGDs) and two participatory mapping exercises were conducted between November 11-15 to provide a deeper understanding of FSL practices and displacement patterns. Findings were then triangulated with secondary data collected by other humanitarian partners.
The first section of this report analyses displacement trends in November 2017, while the second section evaluates population dynamics and access to food and other basic humanitarian services for IDPs and local populations in the assessed settlements.