Situation Overview: Unity State, South Sudan (January - March 2018)

from REACH Initiative
Published on 31 Mar 2018 View Original


According to REACH data, reported adequate access to food and services increased slightly over the first quarter of 2018 in Unity State. Nonetheless, incidents of conflict, in particular counties such as Koch1 , environmental and security challenges that undermined livelihoods, and an increasing reliance on humanitarian assistance suggest that populations in parts of Unity State will remain vulnerable in the coming lean season.

To inform humanitarian actors working outside formal settlement sites, REACH has conducted assessments of hard-to-reach areas in South Sudan since December 2015. The data is collected through interviews on a monthly basis from communities across the Greater Upper Nile region, Greater Equatoria region and Western Bahr el Ghazal region.

In the first three months of 2018, REACH interviewed a total of 795 Key Informants (KIs) in the Bentiu Protection of Civilians (PoC) site and Nyal. The KIs were from 433 settlements situated in 7 of the 9 counties in Unity State. The findings were triangulated through 10 displacement and food security and livelihoods (FSL) focus group discussions (FGDs) conducted in Bentiu and Nyal, secondary data and previous REACH assessments of hard to-reach areas of Unity State.

In order to ensure an understanding of current displacement trends and humanitarian conditions in settlements from which displacement took place, new arrivals, representing 87% of KIs, were specifically targeted. The remainder of the KIs interviewed (13%) reported having been in the settlement or having had regular contact with someone from the settlement within the last month. This Situation Overview focuses on changes in humanitarian needs observed in the first quarter of 2018. The first section analyses displacement and population movement in Unity in early 2018, and the second section evaluates access to food and basic services for both internally displaced persons (IDPs) and local communities.