Humanitarian support for crises in Africa
Numerous countries in Africa are facing conflict, drought, food shortages and widespread displacement. The UN estimates millions of people are on the verge of starvation in Southern and Eastern Africa.
In September 2017, Australia provided $20 million to support international relief efforts in Somalia and South Sudan. This is in addition to the $19.3 million of humanitarian assistance provided to South Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda, Nigeria and Kenya in May 2017.
In 2016-17, Australia provided a total of over $68 million in response to the worsening crises in Africa. This included Somalia, South Sudan, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Niger, Swaziland Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Australia's humanitarian funding to Africa in 2016-17 included:
- $29 million to provide emergency food, health services and protection to affected communities in South Sudan, including to assist South Sudanese refugees in Ethiopia and Uganda
- $17 million to provide food, health services, water sanitation and hygiene and livelihoods support to communities in Somalia
- $10 million to provide food and health assistance to communities affected by conflict and food shortages in the Lake Chad Basinregion (including Chad, Cameroon, Niger and Nigeria)
- $10 million to provide life-saving food and nutrition to countries affected by El Niño in South Africa, including Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mozambique, Swaziland and Zimbabwe
- $2.4 million to respond to the emerging drought in Kenya
In addition, $25.9 million of Australia's core funding to the World Food Programme for 2016-17 was allocated to countries in Africa.
Australia also provides annual core funding to trusted international humanitarian partners. This funding allows our partners to prioritise the most urgent humanitarian needs globally. For example, over $24 million of Australia's core funding to the World Food Programme for 2017-18 was allocated to countries in Africa.
Australia's partners include:
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Somalia Resilience Program
- World Vision and Oxfam
- Media release: Humanitarian assistance for Yemen, South Sudan and Somalia
- Media release: Humanitarian assistance to Africa
- Media release: Australian support for Somalia and South Sudan continues
- Media release: Visit to Africa
- DFAT webpage: Somalia
- DFAT webpage: South Sudan