The recent food crisis in Africa has deteriorated during the past few months. As of to-date, an estimated 35 million people are in need of urgent food assistance in 11 African countries which includes the worst affected Somalia, Nigeria, South Sudan and Ethiopia. Other countries facing serious situation are Kenya, Cameroon, while Malawi, Namibia, Niger, Zimbabwe and Chad are also among the affected.
Famine has been formally declared in the northern-central part of South Sudan since February 2017. According to Famine Early Warning System (FEWS) Network, Somalia, Northeastern Nigeria and Ethiopia are in high risk of famine because of poor rainfall and continuous crises. The food crisis is endangering more than 20.9 million lives in these four countries alone.
The multiplier effects of drought, conflicts and chronic neglect of basic services as well as long term economic insecurity led to reduced food production, increased food price, and inadequate healthcare facilities. The most urgent humanitarian supports are provision of emergency food, nutritional supplements especially to children, water & sanitation supply, livelihoods support and enhanced health services.
Hong Kong Red Cross Actions
- The Hong Kong Red Cross (HKRC) is launching an appeal from 5 June 2017 to call for support from the Hong Kong public to the Africa food crisis operation.
- From 27 May to 26 June 2017, a HKRC staff is deployed to Ethiopia to support the International Red Cross’s drought and food crisis relief operation.
- During March to May 2017, HKRC has mobilized HKD 1.1 million to support International Red Cross on the food crisis operations in South Sudan, Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia. Total 4,562 people are beneficiated.
- HKRC will continue to monitor the situation and scale up operations according to needs assessment.
- Online Donation
- Bank transfer*: “Hong Kong Red Cross Africa Relief Fund” bank account (HSBC)︰801-244088-001 (Please mark “Africa Food Crisis 2017” at the back of the original bank pay-in-slip)
- Cheque*: Crossed cheque made payable to “Hong Kong Red Cross Africa Relief Fund” (Please mark “Africa Food Crisis 2017” at the back of the cheque)
Red Cross Red Crescent Actions
The International Red Cross is currently appealing for HKD 3.69 billion to support the humanitarian operations in 11 African countries, including Cameroon, Chad, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan and Zimbabwe. As of March 2017, over 4.6 million people affected by the food crisis have been reached.
- 1,490,000 people have received food parcels, nutritional supplements or cash assistance for purchasing food.
- 806,000 people have received livelihood assistance, including provision of farming tools, fishing nets, livestock vaccination services and relevant trainings
- 1,673,000 people have improved access to clean water.
- 398,000 people have accessed to health services.
- 133,000 people have received essential household items, sleeping and shelter materials due to food crisis or conflict caused displacement
- 2,000 people have been benefited from mental health and psychosocial support services
- 23,000 displaced people who lost contact with their families due to displacement have been benefited from restore family link services and tracing services
- 79,000 malnourished detainees received food, water and other assistance
- 4,000 people received dissemination messages of International Humanitarian Law to ensure timely response in food crisis especially in conflict affected regions
Please call 2802 0016, fax to 2802 0017 or email to email@example.com.