The 2014 Rainfall Season: West and East Africa (October 2014)
· Severe and seasonal rainfall deficits remain across many areas of the Sahelian region, in particular Senegal, Mauritania, northern Nigeria and eastern Niger.
· Serious impacts on agricultural production in Senegal and Mauritania can be expected. Perspectives are also unfavourable in eastern Niger and NE Nigeria.
Eastern region (Sudan, Ethiopia)
· Rainfall in September was favourable across the region. This trend has continued through October with wetter than average conditions.
· Better rains improved crop prospects in Sudan and central and NE Ethiopia, reversing the impacts of prior rainfall deficits.
· Persistent heavy rainfall in South Sudan is resulting in flooding along riverine areas in Unity, Jonglei and Upper Nile States.