South Sudan

WFP needs an extra $5million to airlift food to Jonglei

Source
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

The World Food Program (WFP) is in urgent need of an extra five million dollars to airlift food relief to the victims of the inter-communal attacks in Jonglei State.

The clashes which started August last year have led to the deaths of scores of residents mainly women and children, and tens of thousands of displaced people, who are in dire need of humanitarian aid.

However, the assistance is being hampered by the inaccessibility of the roads according to the UN officials.

WFP Country Director in South Sudan Christopher Nikoyi says his organization had started distributing food aid to the people in Pibor on Wednesday but more money is urgently needed to expedite the exercise.

"What we need is funds to the get the food and other inputs to the people. We have a shortfall right now. We are pleading with donors to come forward with money specifically to the use of helicopters in this particular project which was not anticipated," said Nikoyi.

"I would say we need at least $5million in order to get the assets to cover all the needs. I would want to make the world know that South Sudan is a very young nation and she needs all the support of the world in this critical time as it stands up as a mature country," Nikoyi added.

The Commissioner of Pibor County, Joshua Konyi, confirmed the distribution of food aid to the affected people in his county.

Konyi said the first consignments were distributed to Pibor, Likuangole and would reach Gumuruk on Friday.

Konyi also added that they received medicines from the doctors without borders (MSF) and expect more medicines to arrive by Friday.