South Sudan’s Kiir names new cabinet, leaves out VP post
July 31, 2013 (JUBA) - South Sudan president Salva Kiir on Wednesday issued a decree appointing 19 cabinet ministers and 10 deputies, a week after he dissolved the entire government.
The president, in several decrees read on the state-owned SSTV, left unoccupied the position of the vice-president and minister for the presidency.
Several new faces were elevated to cabinet in the 31 July decree, issued under Article 112 (1) of the Transitional Constitution of the Republic of South Sudan.
The president, for instance, appointed Kuol Manyang Juuk as minister for defense and veteran affairs, Obuto Mamur Mete in the office for the president for national security service, Telar Riing Deng for justice, Aggrey Tisa Sabuni for finance,commerce and economic planning, Aleu Ayeny Aleu in-charge of interior and wildlife conservation, among others.
The South Sudan leader, had earlier appointed Barnaba Marial Benjamin, formerly the information minister to head the foreign affairs ministry.
Meanwhile, Stephen Dhiew Dau for petroleum and mining, industry and environment and information, Micheal Makuei for broadcasting, telecommuncation and postal services, Jemma Nunu Kumba for lands, housing and physical planning, among others were some of the few ministers retained by the president.
Kiir, under Article 117(1) of the same constitution also issued another decree appointing 10 deputy ministers in the newly formed government. The new appointments bring to 29 the total number of ministers and their deputies.
The president, in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune, said he chose this moment to restructure his government and lay the groundwork for a lean and stronger cabinet.
"This downsizing will create synergies, allow budgets to flow to high priority development projects and also allow for better management by dedicated civil servants," Kiir’s statement reads in part.
FULL LIST OF CABINET MINISTERS
- Martin Elia Lomuro - Cabinet affairs
- Kuol Manyang Juuk - Defense and Veteran Affairs
- Telar Ring Deng - Justice
- To be appointed - Office of President
- Obuto Mamur Mete – Office of the President for National Security Service
- Aleu Ayeny Aleu- Interior and Wildlife Conservation
- Aggrey Tisa Sabuni– Finance, Commerce and Economic Planning
- Kuong Dazier Gatluak - Labor, Public Service and Human Resource Development
- Michael Makuei Lueth– Information, Broadcasting and Telecommunication and Postal Services
- Riek Gai Kok– Health
- Beda Machar Deng - Agriculture, Forestry, Tourism and Animal Resources, Cooperatives and Rural Development
- John Gai Yoh - Education, Science and Technology
- Jemma Nunu Kumba – Land, Housing and Physical Planning
- Abdalla Deng Nhial – Electricity, Dams, Irrigation and Water Resources
- Simon Majok - Transport, Roads and Bridges
- Stephen Dhieu Dau - Petroleum, Mining and Environment
- Ngor Kulang - Culture, Youth and Sport
- Awut Deng Acuil– Gender and Social Development
The full list of the newly appointed deputy ministers will follow shortly.