The Commissioner of Pibor County, Jashua Konyi, on Saturday told a press conference in Pibor that Pertet, Likuangole and Pibor authorities continue to find dead bodies in the bush from the recent clashes.
"In fact we have not confirmed the final death toll, but citizens are still returning and those wounded have not reached the county headquarters yet," he said.
"The number we received so far are 2182 women and children while 950 men were killed in the fight. We stick to these figures and we shall proof to you soon that it is a right figure. Most of those who died are women and children. We received this information through Payam administrators of Pertet, Likuangole and Pibor here as reported by the chiefs of the villages," he added.
Nevertheless, the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General in South Sudan, Hilde F. Johnson, who visited the areas on Saturday disagrees with Konyi's figures.
"At the moment, we are not certain about numbers, but we know that the most- population wise- dense areas like Pibor and Likuangole have been largely protected. We need to assess the situation carefully," said Johnson.
Johnson also expressed her relief at the return to duty of the staff of Medicins Sans Frontiers in Pibor. The medical charity's clinic was overrun and looted by armed Lou Nuer youth last week, leaving the town without any medical facilities.