South Sudan

Dozens killed and injured in South Sudan attack

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

Listen

Dozens of people have been killed and injured in an attack that has left thousands of others displaced in Warrap State of South Sudan, according to a United Nations spokesman.

The UN mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has confirmed reports of an attack by an unknown number of armed uniformed men from Mayendit County, in Unity State.

UNMISS says that on Monday it facilitated and accompanied a government mission to the Bulich area where the attack occurred.

UN spokesman Martin Nesirky has more.

“According to local sources, so far 78 people were reported killed, 68 wounded, nine missing and thousands are reported to be displaced. The team from the UN Mission observed 15 bodies that were still unburied. The humanitarian community will call an emergency meeting of all humanitarian and protection actors to coordinate a response while the Human Rights division of the mission will investigate the incident.” (Duration: 27”)

Martin Nesirky says UNMISS has also held discussions with senior national and state government officials and an integrated mission was being planned for Wednesday.