Somalia Weekly Polio Update: Week 48 & 49, 2019
• The Somalia Polio Programme has not confirmed any new cases of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) in children with acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) since 8 May 2019.
• The last case of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 3 (cVDPV3) in a child with AFP was detected and confirmed on 7 September 2018.
• In total, 15 children with polio have been detected in Somalia since the onset of the ongoing concurrent cVDPV2 and cVDPV3 outbreaks in 2017.
• During the week of 49, one PV2 index (SOM/WGB/GBL/19/006) and one contact (SOM/WGB/GBL/19/004/C3) were reported from Gabiley District in Galbeed region. The stool samples of these cases have been sent to lab for further investigation.
• Sequencing results of isolate (SOM-TOG-ANB-19-002) reported from Ainabo district in Togdher region during week 47 was confirmed PV2 Sabin.
• In week 49, two positive cVDPV2 viruses were identified from two separate environmental testing sites. The samples were collected on 10 November 2019 and sequencing suggests that they are closely related to SOM-BAN-1 virus, which was circulating in 2018. Investigation is underway and response is under discussion within the partnership.