Somalia: Weekly EPI/POL Update Week 33 (19 August 2018)
VDPVs from environmental samples
- 1 new ES point of collection is identified in the upstream side of Urobo ES site. The first sample collected on 16th August.
- No new cVDPV2 isolates from environmental samples. The date of collection of most recent positive environmental sample was on 17th May 2018.
- No new cVDPV3 isolate from environmental samples. The date of collection of most recent positive environmental sample for cVDPV3 in Somalia was on 19th April 2018.
- In total, 10 cVDPV2 and seven (7) cVDPV3 viruses have been isolated from environmental samples in 2018 compared to two (2) VDPV2s and 0 VDPV3 in 2017.
- There are five (5) environmental sites in Somalia, all of which are located in Banadir region (Mogadishu).
VDPVs from human samples
- One new cVDPV2 case reported this week, who is a 36-month old male child from Banadir province, Danyile district, from Tabelha-Sh Ibrahim village, with date of onset 10 July 2018.
- The sequence for SOM-BAN-DYN-18-003 is serotype 2 with 41 nucleotide differences (nt diff) from Sabin2. The new VDPV2 sequence is genetically linked to the cVDPV2 sequence for ES/SOM/BAN/WBR/21OCT/17/003 (Twenty One October ENV site, emergence group SOM-BAN-1).
- Accordingly, the total number of cVDPV cases is 5 (two cVDPV2, two cVDPV3 and one had both cVDPV2 and cVDPV3). The dates of onset of most recent cVDPV2 are on 10 July and cVDPV3 is on 23 May 2018.