The report is built on surveillance data that health service providers and NGOs transmit on a weekly basis from health facilities and hospitals in Somaliland.
- Between 1 January and 16 June, 2007, 2060 of Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) cases were reported from Somaliland including 30 related deaths.
- In the current week (epidemiological week 24), the reported cases decreased by 8%, in comparison to the previous week (457 and 539 respectively).
- In comparison with previous epidemiological weeks, the overall Case Fatality Rate (CFR) continues to decrease from 5.26% in epidemiological week 20, to 1.09% in the current week.
- Overall, Toghheer region reported 51% (1046) cases, including 30% (15) of the total related deaths. The trend shows a slight increase in the reported cases compared to the last epidemiological week.
- Although Adwal region reported only 11% (223) of the total reported cases, it reported the highest CFR 2.69%.
- V. cholerae serogroup O1, serotype Inaba was confirmed in 26 out of 62 samples collected from Hargeisa and Burao.
The AWD trend shows that the number of reported AWD cases is increasing in Somaliland.