To increase immediate food access, while protecting, restoring and enhancing household food production.
Ministry of Environment, Agriculture and Climate Change (Puntland), Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation Development (Somaliland), Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation (Hirshabele), Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation (Galmudug).
89 091 households (534 546 people).
• Provided USD 14 741 139 through cash for work to 29 345 rural households, enough to feed each household for 3-6.5 months.
• Rehabilitated 135 water catchments.
• Rehabilitated 18 irrigation canals to increase cereal production of small-scale farms.
• Rehabilitated 17 feeder roads and eight prosopis management sites.
• Rehabilitated 81 contour bunds to control soil erosion and improve pasturelands.
• Trained 2 339 community members on infrastructure management and formed water management committees for each rehabilitated site.
• Distributed USD 7 630 141 to 46 230 households, 39 360 of whom received cash assistance through the cash+agriculture modality during the Gu and Deyr cropping seasons, and 6 870 of whom received unconditional cash support in response to flooding in October 2019.
• Distributed USD 3 218 673 to 13 516 households through the cash+livestock modality.
• Increased immediate household food consumption and restored household food production, covering a total of 412 277 months of food security.
• Increased beneficiary communities’ coping mechanisms, with increases shown in the coping strategy index.
• Increased access to water through improved water infrastructure, providing sufficient water to 378 601 animals during the three months of the dry season.
• Increased livestock survival rates, with surviving animals expected to have sustained milk production to boost family nutrition levels thanks to increased access to water.
• Improved water management committees’ capacity to manage, operate and maintain water facilities and provided a sense of ownership of the infrastructure.
• Contributed to the conservation of natural resources critical to sustainable crop production through soil bunds that increase soil water retention.