Horn of Africa Drought Crisis Updates & Developments - 2 August 2011
CRISIS AT A GLANCE
• The Horn of Africa Drought Appeal is only 44 per cent funded. US$1.4 billion more is urgently required.
• 12.4 million people are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance in the Horn of Africa. Friday’s identification of an additional 800,000 people newly in need pushed the total up by 7%.
• Funding commitments have only risen by 4% since Friday in response to the jump.
• About 1.25 million children across southern Somalia are in urgent need of life-saving assistance.
• In the Somali capital of Mogadishu humanitarian assistance is severely hampered by the ongoing military offensive against Al-Shabaab and access to southern Somalia remains severely limited.