Horn of Africa Drought Crisis - Situation Report No. 12
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
· The situation in Somalia is deteriorating; the Food Security Nutrition Analysis Unit warns that almost all regions of the south could face famine. Updated malnutrition figures will be available shortly.
· Although internal displacement is decreasing in Somalia, rates of malnutrition and mortality are increasing, and communicable diseases continue to spread.
· In Ethiopia’s Kobe refugee camp, deaths among children under age 5 have risen from 12.9/10,000/day last week to 15.3/10,000/day this week, due primarily to measles.
· The number of refugees in the four Dollo Ado camps of Ethiopia has now crossed the 120,000 mark with almost 80,000 Somalis arriving this year alone. The state of health of those arriving in Dollo Ado continues to be extremely poor. Land for a fifth camp has been identified to house some 18,000 Somali refugees who have crossed into Ethiopia at Gode.
· In Kenya, one case of cholera, traceable to Somalia, was reported this week in Hagadera camp.