I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
· The security situation along the Kenya-Somali border and around Dadaab is of increasing concern, with one NGO car hijacked and driver abducted. Hundreds of displaced families taking refuge from the drought in a town on the Kenya-Somalia border have been forced to flee fighting between forces loyal to the Somali administration and Al-Shabaab insurgents.
· The number of people reached with food aid in Somalia nearly doubled from July to August and is on pace to do so again in September.
· The apparent large backlog in applications for registration in Dadaab has been adjusted from 40,000 to 1,909. The average daily arrival rate for the past week was about 1,100 people per day.
· A mini-summit on the Horn of Africa will be held on 24 September in New York alongside the UN General Assembly.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.