• The Government is encouraging people to voluntarily leave evacuation centres and return home, with return assistance packages ready for distribution.
• Joint assessment of damaged Honiara households is underway, and initial reports indicate 253 houses destroyed and 30 damaged.
• 10 schools are being used as evacuation centres and a total of 78 schools are affected in Honiara and Guadalcanal.
• Schools are due to reopen on 22 April.
• A draft Humanitarian Action Plan has been developed by national clusters and partners for endorsement by the National Disaster Council.
• A UNDAC team is being deployed to conduct an environmental assessment on a flooded and abandoned tailings dam.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.