Seychelles - FLOODS
DHA - Geneva Situation Report No. 1
20 August 1997
I. DISASTER OVERVIEW
1. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Planning and Environment of the Republic of Seychelles reports that freak weather conditions during the period 13 - 17th August have brought continuous heavy rains , dropping a total of 640 mm of rainfall. These torrential rains have caused 2 deaths and extensive damage to homes and infrastructure, to forests and agricultural land.
2. According to the information provided, 3 islands have been hit: Praslin, La Digue and especially Mah with a total of 80 to 100 locations where damage has been sustained. The Seychelles does not normally experience such weather conditions, and being outside the cyclone belt is unprepared for such eventualities.
The damage has been estimated at USD 5,5 millions (20 millions S Roupees)
3. In view of the Seychelles' normal mild weather conditions, houses and other infrastructure are not built to withstand such adverse conditions. The heavy rains have also had a negative impact on farmland and fragile habitats, including the wetlands and coral reefs which have been affected by the significant runoff of topsoil.
4. The Government of Seychelles
is seeking international assistance in the specific fields:
- assessment of the situation,
- technical advice on response,
- general technical assistance,
- financial help.
5. To date, the Government of Seychelles has sent no other request for help to other international organisations, countries or NGOs.
II. DHA DISASTER RESPONSE
1. At the request of the Government of the Republic of Seychelles, DHA - Geneva is dispatching a United Nations Disaster Assessment and Coordination (UNDAC) team.
2. A second DHA sitrep will follow as further information becomes available.
3. DHA - Geneva is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions, to be used in the immediate relief phase, in coordination and consultation with the relevant organisations of the United Nations system. DHA provides donors with written confirmation and pertinent details concerning the utilisation of the funds contributed.
4. Donors wishing to channel their contributions through DHA can transfer funds to DHA account No. CO - 590.160.1 at the Swiss Bank Corporation, Case Postale 2770, CH - 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland, with reference Seychelles Floods, DHA - Geneva.
6. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform DHA - Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding values by item.
Telephone number: +41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: +41-22-9170-2010
Desk Officer: Mr. Guillaume de Montravel, direct tel: +41-22-917-1481
Contact for media: Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, direct tel:
Telex 41 42 42 dha ch