- A tripartite meeting between the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) and the Governments of Rwanda and the Republic of Congo was held in Kigali from 3-4 April to assess the progress made in implementing the roadmap agreed upon in Brazzaville in September 2016, and to discuss ways to support voluntary repatriation of Rwandan refugees which will conclude at the end of 2017 as per the invocation of the Cessation Clause of the 1951 Refugee Convention.
- On 21 April, UNHCR held a ceremony in commemoration of the 1994 Genocide perpetrated against the Tutsi and in remembrance of eleven UNHCR employees who were killed during the atrocities. UNHCR staff stood side-by-side with the Rwandan people and in particular the families of the staff members who perished and bowed their heads in a moment of silence to honor the memory of all who lost their lives and others who suffered and continue to grieve.
- 2,723 new arrivals have been received in Rwanda in 2017
- 2,771 refugees who are unaccompanied or separated from their parents
- 33,496 refugees living in urban areas
- 1,365 Rwandan returnees received in 2017