Publication Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019, 08:00
Last Updated: June 21, 2019, 10:17 a.m.
Report Number: KOR-08/2
Country: Republic of Korea
Pest Id: Spodoptera frugiperda - (LAPHFR)
Report Status: Preliminary
Hosts: Maize, rice, sorghum, etc.
- Transient: actionable, under eradication
Jeju island in Republic of Korea.
- Ministry of Agriculturem Food and Rural Affairs established a committee in May 2019 for early detection and action for FAW to coordinate activities of relevant bodies for survey, border inspection, information collection etc.
- APQA(National Plant Protection Organization of Rep. of Korea) and RDA(Rural Development Administration) and local governments have conducted national survey for FAW in host crop fields and borders.
- In the couirse of the survey, suspected larvae were first detected at 4 corn fields in Jeju island on 14 June 2019. They were identified as Spodoptera frugiperda by DNA barcoding on 16 June 2019. This is the first detection of FAW in Republic of Korea.
- The emergency measures were conducted to spray with registered agriculture pesticides.
- "Detection Survey Areas" was confined with 1km radius of the infected area.
- Furthermore, the government continues to conduct intensive specific survey for FAW by pheromone traps in host plants growing areas and borders preparing to the possible spread by wind or other means from Jeju island.
FAW may not over-winter due to climate condition in Korea. However there is risk of introduction a long with wind and through regulated articles to cause seasonal outbreak. The damage by FAW in Korea may not be significant due to intensive pest management control.
Contact for info
Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency in Republic of Korea. (e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org)